Wednesday 10 October 2012

Artists that inspire me: Francis Kilian

Today's inspiring artist lives in the Netherlands. I've discovered her years ago, and was fascinated by the depth in her work.

There are so many layers in her work, and I remember staring at it and wondering how on earth she managed to do that.

I even sent her an email once to ask whether I could do a workshop with her, because I really wanted to learn the technique.

I received a nice reply, that her way of working was not really "teachable" (is that even a word?), that it's just layering and layering until you have the feeling it's "done".

Now I understand better what she meant. On her website is an interview with her, where she says that when she starts a painting she doesn't have a clue what's going to come out of it. She just starts, and lets the painting speak to her.

She has a very specific style. There are often birds in her paintings

and I also like that sometimes there's a kind of angel watching over the woman.

Mmmm, such yummy colours....

Francis is having an exhibition on the 28th of October in Nieuw-Amsterdam in the Netherlands. If that's too far for you (I know it's waaay too far for me ...), go have a look at her website. The site is in Dutch, but you'll be able to see more of her beautiful paintings there.

Well, thanks for visiting and I'll see you on Friday for the Paint Party!

6 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful artist. There is so much love in this work. I really enjoy these posts, where you share artists I might not otherwise come across. What's funny is that I was thinking of writing to you and asking whether you had a workshop in portraits -- especially your one line girls! If you ever come to the states, or I come to Australia....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow thnx Jessica, I'm flattered! I don't give workshops at the moment (still too insecure I think ...) but I've had a few similar questions already, so maybe in the future, who knows ... ☺

      Delete
  2. yes...i echo what Jessica has to say...i love learning about new artists. Francis's work is really amazing and so imaginative! i loved looking at every painting on her site. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing this magnificent artist, love her impressive work also.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! These are so deep and expressive! I love the layering and details THANKS for the introduction to her work♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for sharing! you're posts are very interesting, i enjoy coming over to your blog

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I love hearing your thoughts about my work. Because I am getting too many spammer comments, l have to use Captcha, sorry. Hope this is not a problem for you !